VKFF-1383 Tuggerah State Conservation Area

On May 31, I headed off to another local park that I’ve previously activated just under two years ago.

dsc_0464

I’ve only put two APRS maps in as it really is local. Indeed you can see the local knowledge to avoid traffic in the first map (as well as the trip back for coffee at the end of the day).

aprs-1

Anyway, I parked just near the entrance to Chittaway Fire Trail which takes us in to the park.

aprs-2

Google Earth shows us well inside the park where I decided to set up. I think this is also pretty close to where I was last time.

img_1117

It’s a little frustrating that the fire trail does not become part of the park for a little.

img_1118

This is an interesting park in that it’s in town distinct parts. The top part backs on to Tuggerah Nature Reserve.

img_1119

Looking at the entrance to the fire trail, you can see that it’s gotten a bit overgrown.

dsc_0463

Here’s where I set up. I had to move a bit off the trail as there really wasn’t anywhere dry on the trail.

dsc_0446

Which is probably shown better in this picture.

dsc_0447

Looking to the east down the fire trail from where I set up.

dsc_0448

I initially didn’t add the 80m segments on to the dipole. I then had a chat from Gerard pointing out that without 80m, I would be unlikely to get him park to park, so I added on the 80m segments to the existing setup and ran them as best I could. This is the join on the western end.

dsc_0450

This end ran at about eye level.

dsc_0451

dsc_0452

Looking west from the western end of the antenna. The fire trail was pretty well overgrown, and perhaps needs a little work.

dsc_0453

and here is how I ended up anchoring the western end with the velcro that I use to store it.

dsc_0454

Looking back east from the western end.

dsc_0455

Looking East from the setup.

dsc_0456

The 80m segment join was a little higher on the Eastern leg.

dsc_0457

Here is where the 40m rope is tied off.

dsc_0458

and the below two show the end bending around a sapling,

dsc_0459

and again using the velcro to anchor it.

dsc_0460

Looking back to the setup from the Eastern end.

dsc_0461

and again, the set up in as dry a place as I could use.

dsc_0462

As I’m writing this a bit ver a week after the activation, I really can’t recall all of the activation details, save to say that I did manage to get Jess W6LEN on both 20m and 17m CW, as well as a few others in that mode. As usual most contacts on 40m, but a good smattering on the other bands.

The Statistics

The video link below has me thanking folks for 51 contacts. I actually made one more SOTA contact after I shot the video.

Modes
 CW: 9
SSB: 43

Parks
 VKFF-1505: 1
 VKFF-1881: 2
 VKFF-2785: 1
 VKFF-0372: 1
 VKFF-1683: 1
6 park contacts - 5 unique

Bands
 17M: 1
 40M: 26
 20M: 3
 30M: 7
 80M: 15

52 unique contacts (0 duplicates)

52 log entries

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s